3.08.2009

Vancouver: Deer Lake Park - And sometimes we just have to run...


The plane announced 20 minutes before landing that Vancouver was 0 degrees downtown and i just started to quiver with the thought of coming from a country where the temperature was in the mid 30’s. “Great!!!”, i said to myself, at least there were no more threats of a harsh snow storm. With just a semi-thermal hoodie, I braved the cold weather and i was all set!

After a 30 minute drive from the airport, it was great to see the house that i called “my second home”. It delighted me to see that my bedroom was all tidy and ready for another on-set of clutter disaster. I hastily unpacked my luggage and took a quick peek outside my window which revealed a snow-covered backyard and fresh racoon tracks that honestly made me giggle.


After settling my luggage, my first agenda was to catch up with friends on my first week and they did not disappoint me. I received the best welcome dinnerS and there are still plenty lined up. With no shortage of good restaurants in Vancouver, i had dinners (and drinks) at robson st., Granville island, metrotown and Richmond. I have been trying to relatively portion my food intake but it just seemed impossible when you’re at the best restaurants the city had to offer. I usually tend to lose several pounds while travelling but it seems to go the opposite way whenever im in Vancouver. Needless to say, i have been packing on the pounds since i arrived, and with the cold weather not helping at all, i thought of something brilliant...

Inspired by vangie (a.k.a. banggigay), i came to a decision that a good run around Deer Lake Park would hopefully balance my current lifestyle. Deer Lake Park is a good 10 minute walk from our house and it felt great to be back where i had spent a good part of my summer in 2008, kayaking and running. Armed with my ipod and listening to retrace by anberlin, i started trudging and gradually increasing my pace, careful not to alarm my bummed left leg. I mostly had several meters of trails for myself with the occasional runners, walkers and bikers here and there.

While i was breezing through the wood covered trails, i was greeted by an old lady (probably in her mid 50’s) riding her bike with her dog trailing behind her. We started a small conversation about how it was unusual for her to see an Asian in her teens walking around the lake and added, “it’s nice to see someone from your background who appreciates quiet walks around the lake”. Ofcourse i had to explain to her that this teenager is already in her mid-20’s and pointed out that Deer Lake is one of those rare gems in the city where people like me go for recluse when the metropolis starts to show it’s greyness. I didn't bother asking why she pointed out that i was Asian to prevent opening a can of worms, which i was definetly not in the mood to get into. After our short talk, the old lady started to pedal away and off she went with her dog.

Trying to regain my earlier momentum, i was called by the lake to take a look at was infront of me. Coming out of winter, the grass was still hay brown while the pine trees were still bristling with its lush green hue. Off the horizon, the sky was serenely blue and the snow covered mountain cap was within my reach. Perfect, i thought. Where else in the world could you run, row and ski in one day? As it stands, Vancouver, rather Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD), is No. 4 at the The World's Best Places To Live.

With that in mind, i thought i should take the hiking route when i reach the crossroads to thrust the brewing adrenalin i had mustered. I envisioned my runners all covered with clay after climbing up muddy slopes, and considered the thought of purchasing a new one after that. But alas, i was greeted with this sign at the crossroad and had to take the road often travelled, no hiking, have to stick with running.

Off i went to continue my run and as i was about nearing the end of the trail, i had to stop. I wasn’t tired. I wasn’t parched. I was engulfed again with the scenery, however, this time it was different. As i was running, this couple caught my eye and just had to stop, sigh, think, and snap! Thus, the photo below. I felt a warm rush of shudder and the impact of human element on a person's perception, let alone body heat (hehehe). Sensing that i had 5 seconds before i turn all mushy, i quickly shook it off to finish my run.

At my finish line, i was greeted by wild ducks quacking, a fitting end to my pseudo mini-adventure. Quack! (I highly suggest you listen to i like to watch by prozzak during and after a workout)



0 left a footprint:

Post a Comment